OBJECTIONS AND ISSUES
The Defense Department's Plan (In Process) To Vaccinate All 2.5
Service Members Against The Threat Of An Anthrax Attack
HEALTH AND SAFETY (Program requires 6 shots in 18 months and
Systemic (Major) Side-Effect Problems with the Vaccine (Requiring Shots
- Documented reactions to the anthrax vaccine from the FDA's Vaccine
Adverse Event Reporting System include nearly 50 different types of major
- Vast DOD under-reporting of major side effect problems is a virtual
--Former FDA Director David Kessler says only 10% of reactions ever get reported.
--70's Swine flu vaccine analysis showed military reports only 1/7th of
that 10% rate.
- Army's studies show up to a 1.77% systemic rate (44,500 service members could be
--~9X the manufacturer's claim and ~9000X higher than some current DOD claims!
- Documented cases of DOD continuing shots after major reactions--violates vaccine
- Documented cases of DOD administering shots from expired lots with serious health
Relevant Gulf War Illness Information
- Senate Staff Report 103-97 - vaccine still not eliminated as a cause of Gulf War
- DOD refuses GAO demand to confirm a toxic, non-approved substance in the
FDA Approval Process, Inspections Reports, Warning Letters and Lack of SECDEF Review
- GAO testimony on April 29, 1999 revealed FDA improperly approved current vaccine.
- Approved in 1970--2 years before FDA began requiring vaccine efficacy demonstrations.
--This vaccine would not be approved using today's FDA standards!
- FDA Warning Letters sent to the manufacturer in 1995 & 1997 (threatened to
- FDA wrote scathing 98 report on this vaccine--84 quality control & procedure
- Initially, 22 of 30 lots failed retest; vast majority of vaccine still in
- The plant is now shut down for renovation, but DOD is still using the current
- Congressional hearing confirmed a condition to conduct a complete review was not
--Program reviewer had no anthrax expertise, so he made marketing suggestions.
Disturbing Similarities of Anthrax Vaccine to Government Swine Flu Vaccine Mistakes
- 1 Ft Dix swine flu death caused scare because of 1918-19 pandemic (450,000 died).
- 0 weaponized anthrax deaths; DOD claims 10 countries possess anthrax, but this is not
- In both cases, the absolute necessity to use antibiotics was de-emphasized.
- In both cases, probability and severity of occurrence could not be predicted.
- in both cases, the government changed incalculable risk to "not if, but
- In both cases, no serious side effects anticipated, even though neither vaccine
- In both cases, field trials yielded depressing efficacy results and many adverse
- Swine flu program vaccinated 2X as many as ever before for a single season virus.
--(2.5 million military receiving anthrax vaccine is 17X as many as in the Gulf
- 3 Swine Flu Vaccine deaths + severe reactions halted program; 4,00 nerve damage claims.
- Anthrax Vaccine results so far: 6 hospitalizations--2 life threatening heart
Vaccines are Useless Against Bioterrorist Threats
- Foremost expert on germ warfare has no confidence in vaccines as a defense.
- Vaccine could never keep up with the possible anthrax permutations,
variations of other biological agents, combinations of agents, stronger doses, and
Anthrax Vaccine Already Proven Ineffective By The DOD's Own Tests
- 1998 Ft Detrick study showed vaccine failed to provide unit effectiveness survival rates
--27 of 33 different anthrax isolates defeated vaccinated guinea pigs-- 82%
--Similar mice studies indicate a 90-100% failure rate for this
- DOD basing use of the vaccine on rhesus monkey and rabbit trials showing 90%+ survival.
--DOD states guinea pig and mice studies are less relevant.
- Guinea pig and mice studies used for a myriad of medical assessments--can't just be
- Journal of the American Medical Association says data is lacking for
inhalation efficacy claim.
- Senate Staff Report 103-97 says efficacy against inhaled anthrax is
- Recent GAO testimony on April 29, 99 in Congress reconfirmed serious efficacy questions.
INTERNATIONAL EFFECTS AND ALLIES EXPERIENCE
- Vaccine policy erodes 1972 Biological Weapons Convention; encourages biological arms
- De-emphasizes massive retaliation response threat which worked in Desert Storm
- French: Didn't vaccinate in the Gulf War; their military members don't have Gulf
- British: Admit mistakes in Gulf; offered a voluntary vaccine; 73% declined; program
- Israelis: Don't have a mandatory vaccine policy either; relying on antibiotics
- Canadians: Had mandatory vaccine policy: recently stopped because of
SUPPORT FOR THE PROGRAM
- U.S. Talk Spot Radio Program Survey shows 83% of the public is AGAINST the
- Army Times Publishing Company poll showed 77% AGAINST!(more military
- Current hearings held by Subcommittee on National Security, Vet Affairs and Int'l
- 4 hearings scheduled, 2 complete, June 30 will examine the DOD/manufacturer relationship
- Fall hearing will be on doctrinal problems in dealing with bioterrorism
- 3 Congressmen have written DOD requesting program delays and further analysis
REACTIONS AND IMPACTS ON THE GUARD AND RESERVE
- Reservists couldn't get accurate diagnosis or treatment of vaccine side-effects from
- Thousands of Gulf War shot records were lost or did even not reflect shots were
- Health risks jeopardize civilian income; reservists can't afford vaccine
PERSONAL, FAMILY AND WOMEN'S ISSUES(pregnancy is cause for not vaccinating)
- Service members concerned about what they might pass on to nursing babies or future
- Women concerned they can't start a family during 18 month initial shot series
- Why are pregnant service members not returned to the U.S. if they're "exposed"
- Everyone is given the vaccine regardless of individual medical conditions or drug
MILITARY AND CIVILIAN PILOT OBJECTIONS/ISSUES
- Each Guard and Reserve unit pilots faced with shot conduct serious research
-So far, between 1/3 to 3/4 of unit pilots consider refusing the shot;
-Some documented reactions could cause potentially serious flying problems
- Senior aircrew may be inclined to retire; loss of leadership (5000 flying hours,
- Younger pilots have less to lose with the military; a lot to lose when just signing on
- Policy is creating tension in units; increases turnovers
- 50+ anthrax hoaxes across country in last several months;little progress on catching
- Administration official has said "Vaccinating civilians is another thing
entirely and we don't think we want to do that with the vaccines currently
available." No confidence?
- DOD now accelerating vaccinations to DOD civilians and contractors some suspect because
the shelf life on numerous lots is about to expire; vaccine must be used; no increase in
LIMITATION ON FREEDOM OF RELIGION
- Policy allows religious objection based on recognized church doctrine against ALL
- No religion, except self-destructive cults, would approve injecting questionable
- National survival is not dependent on avoiding religious objections to this
FINANCIAL INTERESTS IN VACCINES WARRANT FURTHER INVESTIGATION
- Vaccine market potential increased with recent tax, patent and litigation changes
- Corruption allegations over vaccine plant sale; Michigan lawmakers filed lawsuit
- Administration meeting on vaccine stockpiling plan included those who would gain
IMPLICATIONS FOR THE FUTURE
- $322M budgeted to develop a new biowarfare vaccine;>12 planned; potential for 50
- All this while we are still spending $115M for 121 studies to solve Gulf War Syndrome
- Anthrax vaccine alone more than doubles the shots a member may receive in a
--Where is the limit to what the body can stand?
--What are the recruiting, retention, fitness and morale impacts?
- DOD has requested FDA waivers in handling civilian disasters; wants greater involvement
--Plans to use some of the same experimental drugs and vaccines used in the Gulf War
--Seeking broad authority to waive monitoring and informed consent requirements
- Many disturbing issues; many unanswered questions
- With improper FDA approval and lack of a SECDEF-promised DOD program review, the anthrax
vaccine program appears too experimental and thus in violation of Nuremberg Code
- This forced vaccine cannot be considered a legitimate lawful order for military
- The program should stop before our service members and our national defense suffers
To help stop this harmful waste of taxpayer money most
The House Armed Services Committee 2120 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515 (202) 225-4151 http://www.house.gov/hasc/
IMPORTANT NOTE: THE WEBSITE LISTS INDIVIDUAL COMMITTEE MEMBERS,
WHO COULD BE CONTACTED INDIVIDUALLY BY JUNE 15, 1999 TO AFFECT THE CURRENT DEFENSE
PLEASE REQUEST LANGUAGE IN THE BILL FOR A PROGRAM MORATORIUM
To make a tax deductible contribution to an Anthrax Vaccine Public Awareness Fund and/or a
Fund to Defend Anthrax Vaccine Refusers contact: The James Madison Project 1501 M Street,
N.W. Suite 1175 Washington, D.C. 20005 E-mail: JaMadPro@aol.com
For more information contact: Government and Business Consulting
927 6th St. SW
Washington, D.C. 20024 E-mail: email@example.com
Sources researched for this paper include: 1. Information from thousands
of pages DOD documents obtained under a Freedom of Information Act Lawsuit filed by the
Veteran's for Integrity in Government 2. Harvard University's JFK School of Government
Case Study on the Swine Flu Vaccine 3. GAO Report #NSIAD-99-dated March 1999 4. Original
documents on a website established by parents concerned about reactions their children in
the service were experiencing from the shot- http://www.dallasnw.quik.com/cyberella
5. Congressional Testimony available at http://www.house.gov/reform/ns/hearings/subcommittee_hearing_testimony2.htm
6. New York Times, November 3, 1998-Article titled, "Once He Devised Germ
Weapons;Now He Defends Against Them" 7. Journal of the American Medical Association
Articles-Vol 278 #5, p. 402; Vol 275#3, pp.241-243 8. DOD Website information and hand-out
literature 9. Vanity fair, May 1999 article on Squalene adjuvant found in service members
blood 10. Washington Post Sunday Magazine, 8-30-98 article titled "Shots in the
Dark" 11. Gulf War Veterans Website- http://www.gulfwarvets.com
12. Perspectives Magazine, Nov/Dec 1998 article titled, "Bad Medicine"
13. Dayton Daily News, May 28,1993-Article by Severyn, K.M., Ph.D. 14. Nature Magazine,
Nov.1997, p. 3. 15. Montreal Gazette, 1-22-99, p.6 16. Israel Defense Website on
biological weapons- http://www.webinterview.com/documents/ISREAL0001.htm
17. Conversations with Guard and Reserve members 18. The Washington Post, 3-16-99,
p.A21, The Bioterrorism Panic" 19. Air Force News Website Article on Expanding the
20. New York Times, 6-9-98, Article by Judith Miller titled, "Clinton Seeks
More Money to Counter Germ Warfare" 21. Dallas Morning News, 2-9-99, Jim Landers
article titled, "U.S. Quietly Upgrading Homeland Defense Plan" 22. Wall St.
Journal, 2-25-98, Article by Elsye Tanouye titled, "The Vaccine Business Gets a Shot
in the Arm" 23. State of Michigan, 30th Judicial Circuit Court Case, Docket No.
98-17098-CM 24. New York Times, 8-7-98, Article by William Broad and Judith Miller titled,
"Germ Defense Plan in Peril as Its Flaws are Revealed 25. New York Times, 12-27-98,
Article by William Broad and Judith Miller titles, "The Threat of Germ Weapons is
Rising, Fear Too" 26. Washington Post, November 23, 1998, p. 15, article by David
Brown Titled, "The 115 Million Question" 27. Army Times, 2-3-98, p.50, article
by the managing editor, Patrick B. Pexton titled, "A Promise To Do Better Is Not
Gulf War Vets Home Page.