American Gulfwar Veterans Association Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» American Gulfwar Veterans Association » General Discussion » General Talk » Voc Rehab

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voc Rehab
clox21
Maj.
Member # 37

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clox21   Email clox21   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an appointment with the Voc Rehab counselor next week. I was hoping that some of the members that have gone through the process would be able to give me a heads up on what to expect and possibly some advice to make the process go more easily (what to take with me, questions to ask etc.). Thank you in advance for the help. Have a great weekend.
Posts: 82 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Testvet
Col.
Member # 6

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Testvet   Email Testvet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have your goals and what you want help to accomplish, retraining, education etc, I used it for the Independent Living Services Program it is also run thru Voc Rehab but they made me take the tests and then determined I was not able to be made a part of the workforce so I wasn;t eleigible for college assistance or job retrainig except they will pay for classes for hobbies like art, how to use my computer to make videos with the cameras and computers they bought me, they refused to buy me any hand tools due to the meds I take, they stated I would hurt myself with power tools due to the narcotics lol I can hurt myself walking what the hell but the program has been a good one to me
Posts: 1381 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RM4Bentley
Pvt.
Member # 490

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RM4Bentley   Email RM4Bentley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im using chapter 31 voc rehab, and they are helping me get a associates degree in medical
assisting. I appreciate everything they have done
for me,however some of them are pricks, and they think that they have the say in your rehab. Sometimes they need to be reminded who they work
for.

Posts: 8 | From: Abilene Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clox21
Maj.
Member # 37

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clox21   Email clox21   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What options would I have with Voc Rehab if I already have a Bachelor's Degree? Would they perhaps offer assistance in finding a job etc.? Thanks again.
Posts: 82 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Testvet
Col.
Member # 6

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Testvet   Email Testvet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not ever heard of them doing that, doesn't mean it doen't happen, I just have never heard of it.
Posts: 1381 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sea52501
Col.
Member # 498

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sea52501   Email sea52501   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been in school with Voc Rehab since August of last year. The program the counselors helped me set up is a good match for what I have done in my life already and as I've muddled through with it, the VR&E counselor has been glad to help me out and adjust the program to my goals and abilities as I go. Everyone will have a different experience with different schools, counselors and so on, but I have only good things to say about my experience. I can't really think of much to take with you to the appointment. I took my transcript from school, my dd-214 and the tests they had me take at home ... but the letter and the phone calls I got from VR&E told me I would need those things.
Good luck, just getting into CH31 is a step in the right direction!

Posts: 239 | From: Ottumwa, Iowa | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clox21
Maj.
Member # 37

Member Rated:
Thanks for the information. I will let everyone know what I find out next week when I meet with my counselor.
cyberhobo
Maj.
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cyberhobo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through the Voc Rehab process. VA sent me to some high-strung Harris Tweed jacket with leather patches guy blowing cigarette smoke in my face, asking me to spell obscure words while pointing out my defects. Good Luck in your pursuit.

--------------------
"Give me enough medals, and I'll win any war." - Napoleon

Posts: 80 | From: US of A | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clox21
Maj.
Member # 37

Member Rated:
I am not sure why they had me drive over an hour to meet with the counselor. Basically, they already had all of the information they needed to make a decision of granting or denying my application for benefits. The counselor went over my work history and education with me and asked how my disability influenced my life (work in particular).
I explained that I had to quit two jobs because of the service connected disability and that it influences my daily life greatly. After we talked for a while she stated that she would not be able to grant me benefits. She suggested that I contact local veteran reps at the state department of employment security etc. I explained that I had already attempted to use that (and many other) state resource and that I had received little help. She said that a lot of people experience difficulty in getting the help they need in a career search and that there was very little she could do to help.
I explained that I was tired of getting referred to agency after agency and program after program only to be told that I could not get help and that I should try another program or agency. Basically explained that I was tired of getting the run around every time I tried to get help.
Anyway, I looked at the experience as another instance of veterans being overlooked and not being given the assistance they need and deserve. I am not sure why it is so difficult to find an agency/program that will help me find a job.

SMC
Maj.
Member # 650

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SMC   Email SMC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Clox,

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with VRE. What are you rated? They have everything you could possibly need. I was just accepted at the St. Louis Office-I'm guessing that is where you went also.

Give me some more background.

Thanks,

SMC

--------------------
"There's 2 kinds of people I admire - Leaders & Followers - if your not one of them get the F#*k out of the way!"

Posts: 75 | From: Saint Louis, Missouri | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | American Gulfwar Veterans Association