American Gulfwar Veterans Association Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» American Gulfwar Veterans Association » Veterans Issues » Gulf War Illness » Is rhematoid arthritis a Gulf War Illness.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is rhematoid arthritis a Gulf War Illness.
thetonymd
Col.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for thetonymd   Email thetonymd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a letter today from the VA stating that lab tests indicate I may have rheumatologic problems that accounts for generalized pain and fatigue. First I was diagnosed with chronic pain syndrome and also that I have symptoms of fibromyalgia which are symptoms of Gulf War Illness, but now I think this new possible diagnosis is a way to get out of compensation.
Posts: 193 | From: St Louis MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gale
Admin IGWC
Member # 4

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale   Email Gale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thetonymd,

You might consider getting an outside opinion from a different doctor. Have you been able to discuss this with a VSO (Veterans Service Officer)? Also, did you go through the Gulf War Registry exam to be evaluated for all the symptoms and conditions you may have?

Read the VA Handbook 1303.2 to make sure you've been tested for everything possible.
http://www.gulfwarvets.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000120

Don't forget to ask to be evaluated for PTSD in the Mental Health Clinic if you served in the theatre, as well. I'm sure others here will have additional suggestions for you, too.

Good luck and let us know what develops.

--------------------
HONOR OUR VETERANS WITH BETTER CARE AND BENEFITS

Posts: 3482 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GulfVet
Col.
Member # 36

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GulfVet   Email GulfVet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if it is a Gulf War illness issue but arthritis is a disease that is on the presumptive list for service connection regardless if you served in the Gulf or not. It applies to all veterans. If you show signs or symptoms within one year of discharge with a diagnosis later on you may be eligible for service connection(actual diagnosis could be over a year after service as long as you have signs or symptoms within the one year period).

38 CFR 3.307 addresses presumptive service connection and 3.309 is a list of conditions that apply to presumptive service connection.

Posts: 521 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jellybabies801
Col.
Member # 33

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jellybabies801   Email jellybabies801   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thetonymd:
Is rheumatoid arthritis a Gulf War illness?

I don’t think it is. Rheumatic disease – like rheumatism and other aches and pains – is common, but rheumatoid arthritis, per se, seems to be rare. I have wondered about this because there is a much lower incidence of RA in the tropics than in temperate latitudes.
Posts: 279 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | American Gulfwar Veterans Association