American Gulfwar Veterans Association Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» American Gulfwar Veterans Association » Veterans Issues » Gulf War Illness » Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses/RAC Report 2008 (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses/RAC Report 2008
Kansasvet
Sgt.
Member # 491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kansasvet   Author's Homepage   Email Kansasvet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you file for SSDI because of your PTSD and how it kept you from working. Once you get SSDI for a service related disablity, the va is to rate you highter and or give you IU.

--------------------
Jim Bunker
President
National Gulf War Resource Center
http://ngwrc.org
WE are all here to help veterans.

Posts: 17 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dadofGWIvet
Lt.
Member # 14542

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dadofGWIvet   Email dadofGWIvet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IOM changes stance on GWI April 9, 2010
I think this is another milestone - about 18 months after the RAC dropped its report on congress Nov 17, 2008. The VA takes the IOM as its source of "what's real" Dad of GWI vet

WASHINGTON POST - Up to 250,000 Gulf War veterans have 'unexplained medical symptoms'
Written by David Brown, Washington Post Staff Writer
Apr 10 2010
(Washington – Washington Post) - As many as 250,000 veterans of the first Gulf War "have persistent unexplained medical symptoms" whose cause may never be found, although genetic testing and functional brain imaging may eventually shed some light on the problem.
That is one of the conclusions of a new review of research on the constellation of physical complaints originally known as "Gulf War syndrome" experienced by many soldiers soon after the United States drove invading Iraqi forces out of Kuwait in early 1991.
The review, by the National Academy of Science's Institute of Medicine, found that the only illness clearly caused by the Gulf War is post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It is present in 2 to 15 percent of Gulf War veterans (depending on how it is diagnosed), and about three-times more common in them than in soldiers who served at the same time but were deployed elsewhere.
The 12-member panel of medical experts also found "evidence of an association" between Gulf War service and anxiety disorder, alcohol abuse, dyspepsia, irritable bowl syndrome, and "multisymptom illness" (its term for Gulf War syndrome) although not clearly a causal one.
Among the features of "multisymptom illness" are fatigue, muscle and joint pain, poor sleep, moodiness, lack of concentration, and in some people, skin rash and diarrhea. A survey of 10,000 veterans conducted in 2005 found that 37 percent of those who were in the Gulf had the illness, compared to 12 percent deployed elsewhere...., additional info truncated

[ April 12, 2010, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: dadofGWIvet ]

Posts: 33 | From: Sycamore, IL | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gale
Admin IGWC
Member # 4

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale   Email Gale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Dad. I'm posting your source here and including the rest of the story, as well. I also found the IOM's latest report (April 9, 2010) here, as well. Nothing really 'new' in it as they contend their research is still on-going. --Gale

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/09/AR2010040904712.html
Up to 250,000 Gulf War veterans have 'unexplained medical symptoms'

Cont'd

An increase in vague symptoms and persistent pain has also been seen in some non-American groups, including British troops who served in the Gulf, and Danish peacekeepers who were there after the war.

"We concluded that these symptoms are highly prevalent, persistent, and apparently disabling in this veteran population, even two decades after the war," said Stephen L. Hauser, the panel chairman and a professor of neurology at the University of California at San Francisco. "They defy efforts, thus far, to fully understand their cause."

The 289-page report released Friday was generally praised by advocates for more attention to Gulf War veterans, and those who believe there is a cause to be found for Gulf War syndrome.

Paul Sullivan, director of Veterans for Common Sense, in Washington, said his organization will now ask Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki to propose regulations that will provide disability benefits and free medical care to all veterans suffering from "multisymptom illness."

"This is a huge victory for Gulf War veterans," said Sullivan, a 47-year-old former Army scout who said he has been ill since his Gulf service.

Two years ago, the VA-appointed Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses issued a report saying that toxic exposures were probably the cause of Gulf War illness.

Its chairman, James Binns, asserted Friday that the two reports "agree on the most important things -- that the multisymptom illness that affects so many Gulf War veterans is a terrible, distinct illness, and that this nation can and should launch a Manhattan Project-style research program to identify treatments and prevent this from happening again."

The Institute of Medicine panel, whose members are academic physicians and epidemiologists, reviewed 1,000 studies, focusing particular attention on 400 completed since the institute's last review of Gulf War illnesses in 2006.

Many veterans think exposure to pesticides, medicines and environmental toxins damaged soldiers' brain and immune systems, causing chronic illness. Some experts believe the symptoms are the consequence of deployment stress, especially fear of chemical weapons, which Saddam Hussein threatened to use but did not.

Some others, however, argue that "Gulf War syndrome" is an amalgamation of physical complaints that are extremely common in all populations, civilian and military. They have been exaggerated and given a name, and are thus as much a cultural phenomenon as a medical one.

The panel called for "genome-wide association studies," which scan large numbers of people looking for gene variations shared by sufferers of a single disease. It also said that sensitive brain imaging and tests for overstimulation of the immune system are promising tools for future research.

Because "multisymptom illness" is common outside the Gulf War veteran population, finding "biomarkers" that identify people at risk for it may also be useful "for nondeployed veterans and for civilians with a range of medically unexplained symptoms," the panel members wrote.

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2010/Gulf-War-and-Health-Volume-8-Health-Effects-of-Serving-in-the-Gulf-War.aspx

Gulf War and Health: Volume 8. Health Effects of Serving in the Gulf War

Released: April 9, 2010
Type: Consensus Report
Topics: Veterans Health, Select Populations and Health Disparities
Activity: Gulf War and Health: Health Effects of Serving in the Gulf War, Update 2009
Board: Board on the Health of Select Populations

For the United States, the1991 Persian Gulf War was a brief and successful military operation with few injuries and deaths. However, soon after returning from duty, a large number of veterans began reporting health problems they believed were associated with their service in the Gulf. At the request of Congress, the IOM is conducting an ongoing review of the evidence to determine veterans' long-term health problems and what might be causing those problems. The fourth volume in the series, released in 2006, summarizes the long-term health problems seen in Gulf War veterans. In 2008, the IOM began an update to look at existing health problems and identify possible new ones, considering evidence collected since the initial summary.

In this report, the IOM determines that Gulf War service causes post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and that service is associated with multisymptom illness; gastrointestinal disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome; alcohol and other substance abuse; and anxiety disorders and other psychiatric disorders. To ensure that our veterans receive the best possible care, now and in the future, the government should continue to monitor their health and conduct research to identify the best treatments to assist Gulf War veterans still suffering from persistent, unexplained illnesses.

--------------------
HONOR OUR VETERANS WITH BETTER CARE AND BENEFITS

Posts: 3513 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mortar man
Col.
Member # 19

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mortar man   Author's Homepage   Email mortar man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
read the reigle report, chemicals were used against us, that is not just my thinking but look at the evidence, look at the dang marine logs with the "so Called sonic boom", they are still saying stress if i am reading this right.
what a world what a world

--------------------
May God bless and keep you.

Posts: 235 | From: bunker #19 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endure
Col.
Member # 1052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for endure         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Some others, however, argue that "Gulf War syndrome" is an amalgamation of physical complaints that are extremely common in all populations, civilian and military. They have been exaggerated and given a name, and are thus as much a cultural phenomenon as a medical one."

YOU HAD ME AT HELLO.
EXAGGERATED CULTURAL PHENOMENON?

That can be captured in an fMRI and possibly by genetic testing? I want to have some private time with the jacka$$ that had the audicity to throw that little punch into the article. Who the hell are "the others" - ?????
That little gem makes me want to spit.

Posts: 484 | From: FLA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gale
Admin IGWC
Member # 4

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale   Email Gale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mindy,

I'm with you on that little dig in this report. I'd love to kick that SOB in his backside with my one good foot. But, we've been plagued with those kinds of idiots from the beginning-- trying to say that we're just a big bunch of cry babies wanting a free handout from uncle sam. The IOM doesn't help us by trying to continue their version of research and still clinging to an association of PTSD and our illnesses. Some GW Veterans think the IOM is improving their ways by now saying "Gulf War Illness is real". But, they STILL say that there is an association with PTSD.

--------------------
HONOR OUR VETERANS WITH BETTER CARE AND BENEFITS

Posts: 3513 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dadofGWIvet
Lt.
Member # 14542

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dadofGWIvet   Email dadofGWIvet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,
I should have highlighted the reason I thought the new IOM report was a significant change. The keyword phrase "evidence of association" is important to lawyers, congressman and the VA.

Posts: 33 | From: Sycamore, IL | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endure
Col.
Member # 1052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for endure         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But one has to wonder at the wording of this thing. I took, long ago a critical thinking class - and that class made clear to me that appeal to experts and the unknown "others" is a way to pad and mush the topic at hand and throw doubt on the subject matter at hand. Who are these others? Also the language is such that this is not written at an eigth grade level and so confers that indeed this author is speaking for "experts" I mean look at that there fancy language! It seems to me the author was bullied into even having to write such despicable things as: EVIDENCE OF ASSOCIATION - AND THUS MADE SURE TO BURY THAT LITTLE BIT PROBABLY PUBLISHED UNDER DUREES AND END WITH THE PLEASENT CHARMING FOLLOWING:
"Some others, however, argue that "Gulf War syndrome" is an amalgamation of physical complaints that are extremely common in all populations, civilian and military. They have been exaggerated and given a name, and are thus as much a cultural phenomenon as a medical one."

This IOM in my opionion is talking out of both sides of their mouths and throwing a little crumb of make nice, followed with the slow painful poke of "see I can still sugar coat a little nasty" into it. It reminds me of POWs who are forced to bash our country - it seems so clear that who ever is behind all this desperately wanted to kill this topic so many, many years ago - but damnit, well it looks like maybe there is this darned evidence of association issue.

Clearly it does not take rocket science brains to see the bias in this BS.

[ April 13, 2010, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: endure ]

Posts: 484 | From: FLA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endure
Col.
Member # 1052

Member Rated:
OH and by the way. I do have PTSD.
But if the research of Dr. Haley is correct, those fMRIs do seem to show - it is all in our heads - like MS, like Parkinsons, like Alzhiemers, etc. SO yeah they want to say it is in our heads - you mean IN OUR BRAINS - as in BRAIN DAMAGE.

Lets kick it back to them, as in yes - it is in our heads, our brain damaged heads. Damaged by exposures - as in EVIDENCE OF ASSOCIATION. So our brain damage, that results in GWI is the result of association with exposure during deployment or in preparation for deployment (vaccines) as the evidence suggests???

OK - but that is not PTSD - THAT IS BRAIN DAMAGE, BY ASSOCIATION REMEMBER are the symptoms of PTSD simply not correctly associated, MISDIAGNOSED, IS IT REALLY PTSD OR IS IT BRAIN DAMAGE CAUSED BY ASSOCIATION? - perhaps the symptoms ARE NOT PTSD - but are the brain damage caused by association to exposures and proven by the evidence. (by repeating myself here folks is it sinking in?)

Lets get em, beat them at their own game.
Lets keep asking, asking, asking, until we back them in the corner of "what your are saying is..."

Because Arrogant SOBs never think anyone is smart enough to bust them, so they don't bother to be prepared they rely on their arrogance to finally scare people away - and unfortunatly it scares most people away . . . especially former enlisted people who as good troops did as they were told, by usually arrogant leaders, maybe not the first line officer but the higher up you went . . . We as a group probably scare down pretty easy - especially when we have BRAIN DAMAGE THAT MIMICS PTSD SYMPTOMS - OR LEGIT PTSD!

Lets check emotion at the door, lets get them where it counts, lets hit them in a way that makes them look dumb. Question is: How do we do this?

[ April 13, 2010, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: endure ]

Keith
Col.
Member # 23

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all just BS. The numbers given are even wrong in the Govs behalf--250,000 may be sick but that does not include the number of dead veterans of Desert Storm last figure I saw was around 13,000 and another some 80,000 that don't even show up--- I mean they just simply are not accounted for. AND the number of vets who have claims pending or have their claims down-graded to just PTSD and they accept it so they are compensated but still have other health issues.

I ain't making this up this info is from documents I have copies of in my files that I compiled over the last 7 years.

So do not let this disinformation upset you as endure said check your emotions at the door. They want that responce as then you lose clarity in thinking and analizing what is real. They DO know what is happening to our health and what happened in the sand.

Remember Desert Storm the journalist was shut out; no embedded reporters with any of us. AND for good reason. Vietnam had live coverage, this current conflict is somewhat getting covered but the Storm we was all alone with Saddam and all his goodies. There had to be good reason for this. The DoD is the most evil entity on this planet. They make lab rats of patriots, they are masters at spin and disinfo, at deny and cover-up, they minimize every incident that may shed bad light on the thing bad light for them. They continue the Anthrax vaccines although it has never been used on a battlefield against us, knowing that they lose more soldiers to the side-effects than they would even lose if it were to be used. If it was used yes some soldiers would die and some would get sick but we could quickly identify and treat it if used in a combat situation.

All of this makes them worse than scum and puts them in the class of Nazi's. They push an agenda that makes no sense and use volunteer American patriots worsethan pawns, at least pawns make it to the playing board to serve a purpose.

WHY do they push PTSD so strongly during this conflict, not that it does not effect alot of soldiers, I believe they are so quick to play this card as to deflect another situation where there are alot of vets with unexplained problems. If they have PTSD and are diagnosed with it quickly then most other health complaints can be blanketed. IS anyone looking at this from multiple angles thinking outside the box, because if no one is then the GOV and the DoD and the VA will surely have the upper hand as they know all the conventional thnking and standard pratices and will play in to that use it for a smoke screen.

The people that create these reports do it just in this one example given in this post and everyone of you seen it but it was so imbedded it is to hard to extract why it was worded like that.

Joseph Gooebels the Nazi propaganda minister, and perhaps the master of the thing, once said the best and most effective propaganda is that which is so subtle that those targeted will not recognize it. I have the real quote in full somewhere, as I study such things. Do not believe those in our country that push whatever agenda would not have studied how without studying that Nazi, He was so effective that a whole nation systematicly carried out the mass execution of the Jews and others and believed it the right thing to do. Thats power: mass brain control

So to answer your question Endure How do we do this?

We as a group are in over our heads. The people making these reports and controlling what we read, what our doctors read, and all that could be the real cause of our health issues deal in such mind control and deception. We need the help of powerful thinkers and researchers that will think outside the box to begin and even then the pwoers that be still have the upper hand. They have in effect already won using the stall tactic, now most of us that are sick are too sick to tackle this and with every year more of us will die or grow sicker and the new generation will have to decipher all the disinfo and weed through all the BS until they in turn wind up mired in the mud to tired to climb out!

This all from a GOV we volunteered to serve and protect and give are lives and health to. The pay bcak for such noble deeds is pure evil and their day of judgement will come; thats what I draw comfort from.

The people on this site and many others have done alot to shed the light on this issue and after all these years still only win very small victories, but a small victory against such as we face is a triumph to be heralded from the heights for sure and gives reason to continue the fight.
Keith

Posts: 556 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dadofGWIvet
Lt.
Member # 14542

Member Rated:
Endure,
I agree the author of the IOM report probably had his feet held to a fire and VERY RELUCTANTLY entered the "evidence of association" keywords. I have read various testimonies given to the House Committee on Vererans Affairs over the years. One of the 2009 hearings seemed to focus on the IOM vs RAC - and the "evidence of association" rating. Its kind of like the ratings in the VA of "more likey than not".

Incidently, I saw the following report from the Minneapolis VA on PTSD. My son had a MEG done in January for a different purpose, so I was looking for info on what MEG means. They report PTSD patients can be separated from normal subjects with 90% accurqacy.

Journal Neural Eng. 7 (2010) 016011 (7pp) doi:10.1088/1741-2560/7/1/016011
The synchronous neural interactions test
as a functional neuromarker for
post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): a
robust classification method based on the
bootstrap
A P Georgopoulos

Dad of GWI vet

0311 Squad Leader
Pvt.
Member # 21716

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0311 Squad Leader   Email 0311 Squad Leader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keith,

The embedded journalist comment you made strikes me as very interesting. Actually hit me like a ton of bricks. I do not remember seeing any media in my time in the Gulf. The only people embedded with us were Kuwaiti Soldiers. We took them with us so they could be part of the Liberation of their own country. Anybody else remember this?

My Father recorded all of the media coverage he saw on T.V. so I could watch it when I got home.

Seemed like a different War than I saw.

Posts: 13 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
husker65
Maj.
Member # 15301

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for husker65   Email husker65   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. I got a question for anybody could help out my rheumtoid doctor told I need new knees from arthris but the surgeon keep saying to young nothing to do.I'm lost pain is bad and the surgeon say to live with it. If you got any information on my next move please tell me thanks.

--------------------
bigdog

Posts: 64 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith
Col.
Member # 23

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
squad leader, I actually flew home on leave from Frankfurt, Germany in June of 1991 after we got baack from the sandbox. And ended up sitting next to this guy for 8 hours and as we started having drinks and bs'ing he tells me he was a journalist and had tried to get in to cover the "Storm" and was refused so ended up going into one of the eastblock countries that was just opening up after the fall of the "wall". So he was asking me alot of questions about what it was like since thats what he was really wanting to cover. I'll never forget it because I started asking him about what he had seen where he went and he said he interviewed some soviet soldiers and told me that 100 guys in a barracks all shared one shower head and was very uneducatedand gave this example; he said "they are so simple that they barely understand the concept of running water and that he got the impression that if you pulled the sink from the wall and set it in the center of the room on a table they would turn on the knob expecting water to come from it"! I was blown away by that statement but he said that almost word for word. Don't know if I believe every thing I hear but coming from a journalist it had a little weight.

Anyway he was pretty kool and bought all my drinks and seemed sincere when he said he was highly disappointed in not getting to cover the war.

And as of lately its not like we get much info about day to day events from Iraq or Afghanistan. Uncle Sam learned lessons from Vietnam and now control our media to such a great extent that not only what we see about the wars but almost any aspect of whats really happening is all propaganda. CNN, MSNBC, FOX, they all are guilty to some degree. And most the papers are worse.

In the end that and Americans bad habit of not caring or getting involved or researching whats really happening in the country and the world is whats going to be our undoing, and I don't care how many say " oh we are Americans and we will always win or turn it around or overcome" the web is being weaved so fine and subtle that till we are all ensnared we won't have ever known it was there!

I know sounds extremely conspiracy theory but one issue leaads to another and just the way the media coverage is being controlled so are many other little things that will all add up. Thats just my op. it may not be a problem tomorrow or 10 years from now but the seeds are being sown.
Keith

Posts: 556 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dadofGWIvet
Lt.
Member # 14542

Member Rated:
Anthony Hardie has just put an article on 91outcomes.com about a plan to address GWI now thru 2014. There is a draft at http://www.scribd.com/doc/79701467

Maybe vets might get some help from this further down the road.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | American Gulfwar Veterans Association